Friday, July 6, 2012

Balloons and Butterflies

a hot air balloon lifts off outside my bedroom window

the view as I walk toward Gothic





This organization take people out trail riding. This is just up from our house. I like to watch the people getting ready for their ride.



Daisies....a favorite of mine

trail riders starting out





and trail riders on their way





My favorite Columbine

Aspens



Aspens waving in the breezes



the trail on Snodgrass







So hard to believe that the Corn plants are this far
along this early in the season

Mt. Crested Butte








Last night I chose not to set my alarm for this morning as there was nothing pressing for me to do in the morning. Since I took my rental car back yesterday, my wings have been clipped somewhat until Danny gets here next week and leaves me his vehicle. So as I lay sleeping this morning, I was awakened by the unmistakeable sound of a hot air balloon preparing to lift off right outside my bedroom window! About the time I realized where it was, a little girl began to squeal "it's going up, it's going up". I jumped out of bed and ran for my camera, threw open my bedroom porch door and snapped a couple of pics as it rose rather quickly into the air. I didn't mind a bit getting up earlier than i anticipated to be able to witness that show. Since I was up, I ate a little breakfast and put on my walking clothes. I hoped to walk to the Snodgrass mountain trailhead. I really surprised myself and not only made it to the trailhead, but hiked up the Snodgrass trail a pretty good ways. There were a LOT of bikers out today so I had to move off the trail quite a bit to get out of their way. I think I was gone for about three hours total and got home just in time for an afternoon sprinkle. We have been having some rain every day since I've been here. As I sit here typing, it is raining pretty hard with lightening. We need this rain really bad as the whole area is pretty dry. I am disappointed in the wildflowers this year. They really look more like the end of July, first of August instead of the beginning of July. Most of the locals say everything is about a month ahead of itself. This will probably mean an early and short show of color in the Aspens this year. I'm hoping that with the recent rains, the wildflowers might perk up and put on some more color in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment